You have just had your dental implant placed, here are a few things you should know:
Care to Ensure Success
- Take prescribed medications and use prescribed mouth rinse as directed when you get home.
- Instead of brushing the surgery site area, use the Chlorhexidine mouth rinse twice daily. (Do not brush surgery site area at all for 14 days)
- Please follow a soft food diet, taking care to avoid the surgical area when chewing. Chew on the opposite side of your surgery site.
- A reusable ice bag or a frozen vegetable, wrapped in a soft towel, may be applied to the area of surgery to help minimize any swelling. Alternating 5-10 minutes on, then 5-10 minutes off will usually be adequate during the first 24-48 hours after surgery.
- After the first 48 hours moist heat may be used to resolve minor swelling.
- Maintain normal oral hygiene measures in the areas of your mouth not affected by the surgery.
- Keep physical activity to minimum following your surgery for 3 days
Following Surgery DO NOT…
- BRUSH IN THE AREA AT ALL, for 14 days!
- Play with the surgery area at all with your fingers or tongue
- Bite into food if the procedure was done in the front of your mouth
- Chew on the side of the surgery site for 4 weeks
- Eat extremely hot foods or liquids (Cold foods such as ice cream or shakes are okay as long as you use a spoon)
- Eat sticky, hard, brittle, spicy, highly seasoned, or acidic foods
- Smoke at all. Avoid smoking completely, as it tends to delay healing and interfere with regeneration. There is a higher failure of the implant integrating with the bone if you smoke.
- Minor bleeding such as a pinkish tinge to your saliva, may occur during the first 48 hours following surgery.
- Slight swelling of the operated area is not unusual. Even bruising and chapped lips may occur.
If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to call our office (780) 849-2234.