You have just had grafting surgery completed, here are a few things you should know:
Care to Ensure Success
- Take prescribed medications as directed when you get home.
- Instead of brushing, use the Chlorhexidine mouth rinse twice daily. AFTER the first two weeks you may gently dab it on the site to reduce staining of teeth.
- The first 24 hours should consist of a cold, liquid diet. Dietary supplements such as Ensure or Boost work well. Please follow a soft food diet, taking care to avoid the surgical area when chewing. Chew on the opposite side and
- IF you have been given a covering for your palate, leave it in for the first 24hrs then you can remove it for cleaning. The wound dressing will most likely fall out then. We suggest using it full time for the first week, including eating. After that it is up to you. We suggest using it for eating and sleeping for at least the next two weeks or until you feel the palate is fully comfortable.
- A reusable ice bag or a frozen vegetable, wrapped in a soft towel, may be applied to the area of surgery to help minimize any swelling. Alternating 5-10mins on, then 5-10mins off will usually be adequate during the first 24-48 hours after surgery.
- After 48 hrs moist heat may be used to resolve minor swelling.
- Maintain normal oral hygiene measures in the areas of your mouth not affected by the surgery.
- Keep physical activity to minimum following surgery for 3 days.
- Be sure to keep your post-operative appointment to allow for removal of sutures and assess healing.
- Minor bleeding such as a pinkish tinge to your saliva, may occur during the first 48 hours following surgery.
- Slight swelling of the operated area is not unusual. Even bruising and chapped lips may occur.
- You may experience some tooth sensitivity after surgery, especially to cold. Sensitivity usually decreases within a few weeks after surgery.
Following Surgery DO NOT…
- DO NOT BRUSH IN THE AREA AT ALL until we advise you at your post-operative appointment. (This could take several weeks depending on the type of grafting surgery)
- DO NOT Use a Water Pik for at least 4 weeks after surgery.
- DO NOT use a drinking straw as the suction may dislodge the clot.
- DO NOT play with the surgery area at all, do not pull on your lip or cheek to look at the area or to show other people
- DO NOT bite into food if the procedure was done in the front of your mouth.
Following Surgery AVOID
- AVOID extremely hot foods/liquids. (Cold foods such as ice cream or shakes are okay as long as you use a spoon)
- AVOID chewing on the side of the surgery for 4 weeks.
- AVOID Sticky, hard, brittle, spicy, highly seasoned, or acidic foods in your diet.
- AVOID alcohol and smoking until after your post-operative appointment. Smoking is not advised during the first 3 weeks after surgery.
If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to call our office (780)849-2234.