You have just started your clear Invisalign® aligners, here are a few things you should know:
Taking care of Invisalign® clear aligners is very simple.
Every time you brush your teeth you should brush your aligners as well. They can also be soaked and cleaned in a denture cleaner while you are busy eating.
Thanks to the removable nature, you can eat and drink whatever you want while in treatment. In fact, there is no need to restrict your consumption of any of your favorite foods and snacks unless instructed otherwise by Dr. Pukanich. You may even eat and drink with your aligners in!! It is recommended that if you eat curry that you remove your aligners to do so to avoid staining. You may take your aligners out to eat if you find it more comfortable however remember to put them back in promptly after your meal. Also, it is important that you brush your teeth after each meal to maintain fresh breath and proper hygiene.
Please note that your aligner trays may cause some irritation to the lips, tongue, and cheeks. If this occurs, use wax to stop the irritation and rinse with warm salt water to help heal irritation. Teeth may begin to feel slightly mobile or loose during treatment, but this is normal.
Care to Ensure Success
- Wear each set of trays for at least 2 weeks and in sequential order as instructed
- Wear each set of trays for 20-22 hours a day (unless otherwise instructed)
- Use denture cleaner tablets to clean trays at least once a day
- Always place trays in case when they are not in your mouth
- Always remove trays by starting from the back molars
- Always place trays in from the front of your mouth first, and then move to the back molars
- You may drink water while wearing trays or use a straw for dark or staining liquids
- If possible, brush or rinse before placing trays back in your mouth
- Clenching into trays with your aligner chewies when you place your tray in, helps teeth move faster and relieves pressure.
- Keep 2 to 3 of your previous trays in a clean plastic bag
During Invisalign Treatment, DO NOT
- Throw away aligner trays
- Leave trays out of your mouth for long periods of time
- Chew gum with aligners in your mouth. It will stick to the aligners.
- Leave trays in hot vehicle, or boil them (They are plastic!)
- Leave trays sitting out for pets to chew on
- Wrap trays in a napkin or on a table at a restaurant (You will throw them away or forget them!)
- Place trays in your pocket without a case
- Have dental work done while in treatment, EXCEPT for regular checkups and cleanings
- Remove trays from the front teeth first
- Bite trays into position, this may damage them